White’s Directory of Essex 1848
ELSENHAM, a pleasant village, 7 miles North West by West of Dunmow, is about a mile east of the North Eastern Railway, on which it has a station. Its parish contains 491 souls, and 1825 acres of land, mostly the property of George Rush, Esq., the lord of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a large brick mansion, with embattled walls and tasteful grounds. At Domesday Survey, the parish was held by Robert Gernon and John Waleram; and it afterwards passed to the Barley, Adams, Dawkins, Heath, and other families. J.B. Daubuz and several smaller owners have estates here, mostly copyhold,
subject to arbitrary fines.
The Church (St. Mary,) is an ancient structure, with an embattled tower, containing four bells, and crowned by a slender spire. The entrance is under a semi-circular arch, with plain and reticulated Saxon mouldings, and supported by massive pillars, covered with indented mouldings, and having capitals rudely formed and of very antique appearance. In 1070, this church was appropriated to Caen Abbey, in Normandy, by John Waleram. The rectory, which is a manor, was granted by Henry VIII. to Thomas Lord Andley, and was sold about the time of the Restoration to William Canning, Esq., an ancestor of the Rev. Thomas Canning, M.A., the present impropriator of the rectory, and patron and incumbent of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £11, and in 1831 at £122. The glebe is 38A.lR.32P., and the parsonage is a commodious brick mansion, with pleasant grounds. The tithes were commuted in 1839, the rectorial for £413, and the vicarial for £152.4s.11d. per annum. In 1656, John Wells left three cottages and an orchard in trust, that the rents should be distributed by the churchwardens in cloth among the poor parishioners. This property is now let for £9 a year. In 1756, Thomas Rayner left £30 to be applied in schooling poor children, but no interest has been paid since 1809, and the principal is supposed to be lost.
Elsenham High Street
1. 5222 Gilbey Memorial TL 5326 48/863 9.10.73 II 2. Erected in 1896 by Sir Walter Gilbey of Elsenham Hall, in memory of his wife. It was the village pump until mains water came to the area. An octagonal structure with a domed roof crowned by a ball finial and supported on columns which stand on a brick base about 3 ft high.
Elsenham High Street
1. 5222 The Crown Inn TL 5326 48/251 3.7.74 II GV 2. C18 timber-framed and plastered building. Two storeys. Four window range. The upper storey has small casements and the ground storey has 3 canted bays with double-hung sashes with glazing bars. There is a 6-panel door with architrave and a hood on brackets. Roof tiled, with one central and one end external chimney stack to the front block
Elsenham Station Road
1. 5222 Waiting Room on east side of line at Elsenham Station TL 5326 48/1457 II 2. Small mid C19 timber-framed and weather-boarded station building, now a waiting room, with a timber canopy with ornamental shaped fascia supported on cast iron columns with ornamental arched braces. One storey. Double-hung sash windows with glazing bars in the upper sashes. Roof tiled, with a central chimney stack.